Zalando Research sets the course for reimagining fashion for the good of all. We’re Zalando’s incubator for bold scientific experimentation. Machine Learning and AI are our research fields. That comprises today’s most exciting research topics, such as Deep Learning, Computer Vision and NLP, Large Scale Bayesian Inference, Reinforcement Learning, Causality, Augmented and Virtual Reality.
Zalando Research is one of the most collaborative places you can imagine. Partnerships begin within our own teams, with all key engineering and product teams, and with the international scientific community beyond Zalando. In a consortium of three european universities and three business partners, we are driving the project “FashionBrain: Understanding Europe’s Fashion Data Universe”, an initiative to merge computer vision and natural language processing in the domain of fashion. FashionBrain is funded by the European Committee as part of the Horizon 2020 program.
The project targets the two main actors of the fashion industry, i.e., the retailers and the customers. We propose to gather and combine the sheer amount ofdata generated by and emanating from different fashion industry multi-sectorial players, starting from manufacturers and distribution networks, over online shops, large retailers, to value added services companies. The gathered data will be curated, analyzed and used as input for machines learning algorithms. The outcome of the project will benefit retailers by providing novel services to their customers in order to improve their shopping experience and boost their loyalty.
We are looking for a Junior Research Scientist to work on this project with a three year horizon (an unlimited contract will be granted by Zalando).
What We’re Looking For
- Strong scientific background in both fields, Computer Vision and Natural Language Processing
- You feel comfortable with the theory and practical application of related Machine Learning approaches (Deep Learning, Probabilistic modelling, Data Mining)
- You can prove your experience with a good publication track record
- PhD or excellent master’s degree in a related field (option to do PhD upon discussion)
- Good coding skills and data base
- Team spirit as well as the ability to execute independently
- English language fluency
Additional Preferred Skills
- Working on publicly funded projects (EC, BMWI, BMBF, …)
- Experience with crowdsourcing techniques (AMT, CrowdFlower)
- Experience in designing, setup and maintenance of web crawlers
What you can expect from us
Community. Tech culture of trust and empowerment, open source commitment, meetups, game nights, +100 internal technical and fun guilds, tech talks, product demos, Coderdojos, parties and events.
Perks. Competitive salary, 40% Zalando shopping discount, discounts from external partners, public transport discounts, relocation assistance for internationals, free drinks and fruits, hardware of your choice.
Development. Tour of Mastery, extensive onboarding, personal branding support, opportunity to attend and speak at data science conferences and Meetups, and encouragement to publish work.
Work Environment. Self-organized, autonomous teams and flexible working hours.
Scale. Unparalleled levels of data and opportunities.
Want to join us? Then go ahead and apply!